Friday 1 April 2016

A work of art

I love this photo of Robert Glen's Mustangs, you can almost see them running. 
 
Mustangs at Las Colinas is a bronze sculpture by Robert Glen

I have never seen it in the bronze, so to speak, never having visited Irving, but I think Robert Glen’s sculpture is one of the best pieces of artwork I have seen. I am not a fan of abstract sculptures, there seems little skill in bending something into, admittedly on occasions, an interesting shape, but I see real skill in making metal look like something realistic.
In contrast, hidden away in one of Swindon's back streets is this large LED studded thing.

Spot the sculpture.
It is supposed to buitify the town.  Not sure how and as you may have guessed, it is not one of my favourites.

Not only does Glen’s sculpture give a sense of realism, it is the largest equestrian sculpture in the USA, but not because it is over sized like Andy Scot’s the Kelpies, which is incidentally another sculpture I rather like. Glen’s horses are twice normal size, but it is the largest sculpture because it covers a lot of space, just like real herd of wild mustangs. The effect of the fountains giving the appearance their feet are kicking up spray is a touch of genius. Robert Glen has won a number of awards and quite rightly because it is amazing.


 He is just an ordinary looking guy, but his work is extraordinary and I wish he had done something for my local town over here.

1 comment:

  1. That's a brilliant sculpture! So much detail. I really don't like the modern stuff where you really can't tell what it's supposed to be - and even when you know what it's supposed to be, you still can't tell!!

    ReplyDelete