Monday 4 October 2010

A mystery solved


I have known for some time that a bird of prey was stooging around our district, (see Birds posted 26/05/2010) but I never got a long enough look to identify it.

Now we know, it seems to be a Goshawk. It stood and stared at me waiting for me to go away and the minute I turned away, it was off, but this time I had caught it on camera.

Not a bad picture when you consider it was right under all the bushes in quite a shaded spot. You can see a spalsh of sunlight on the ground by him, which shows the level of light outside his hiding place.

2 comments:

  1. Great photo, Snafu. He looks like our Cooper's Hawk, who incidentally, just two minutes ago made a brush through our feeding area. No camera handy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am most jealous of all these great photos that you and Chrisj are taking these days,snafu. You wait -- I am asking Santa for a new camera for Christmas, and once I am done with this book I will be on bird patrol! I missed a great shot of a Northern Flicker the other day - they only come by our garden twice a year - but of course, the camera was nowhere to be found!

    Those claws on the Goshawk in the first photo scare me!

    ReplyDelete